Friday, November 23, 2007

Mac to Mac


The Carriers are now a two-Mac family. I'm the proud owner of a spankin' new MacBook, and Cindy is the beaming owner of a slightly used iBook. We're both thrilled.

After my unfortunate incident on Wednesday, I was devastated. I focused on trying to figure out the fastest and easiest way to pull off the minor repair to my iBook. At the same time, I explored wireless service options so that I could at least use the laptop in the lobby. I found out that Verizon, my cell phone provider, wants $69.95 a month AND a one-year contract for the privilege. No, thank you.

And then the obvious hit me. Two hours before the accident, Cindy had requested her own laptop for Christmas. I acknowledged that she needed one, confessed that I was longing for the new MacBook and asked how she felt about inheriting my iBook. She agreed that it sounded like a great plan. The "great fall" just moved up our time line a few weeks.

George braved the Pasadena Apple Store on "Black Friday," the second busiest shopping day of the year. (Busiest is the Saturday before Christmas.) Apple NEVER has sales, so I was stunned to find out that my MacBook was $100 cheaper, today only. After a few phone exchanges between me and salesman Troy, George sealed the deal

He delivered my new MacBook, adding "The important thing is that we get you online again ASAP." In that spirit, I wasted no time in tearing the Mac out of its box and booting it up.

I was thrilled to find out that I had an option of automatically transferring files from Mac to Mac. That is, I could if I happened to have a FireWire cable. George headed for the closest Target and returned in less than an hour with the appropriate cable. 30 minutes later, the file transfers were complete and my new Mac was ready to go online.

George was my hero today.

5 comments:

Piper Robert said...

Super George to the rescue! Atta boy, George.

Blog away, Sis.

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving at the Circle A Farm. Nathan was his usual gregarious self. Frances, Charlene, and Tina outdid themselves with dinner. Bonnie made a pumpkin trifle from a recipe she got from William-Sonoma. Really great stuff. Today Bonnie made turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing......yummmm. Great cook. Great kisser, too.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I agree stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish.
Susan we are too alike in eating dept.
HOw about that turkey sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce the day after...and with lots of mayo
I've never tried Duke's but maybe the new
Whole Foods has it.
Good thing you don't feel like eather just now....that hospital food sounds so bad. Glad you have the new MacBook..careful you don't drop it! maybe you can
get a safety chain!

Emily said...

Hooray for Uncle George! How incredibly kind to serve you in that way. Glad you're up and running again.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.