Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Let's Banter About . . . Cancer

After I first discovered I had cancer - mantle cell lymphoma to be exact - several of my writer friends asked, "Are you going to write about this?"

"Hell, no!" I responded. I figured that the subjects of cancer and "my cancer journey" had pretty much been played out in newspapers, magazines, after-school TV specials, tear-jerker movies and, most recently, in blogs. I didn't think the world needed another excruciating account of the highs and lows, friends and foes or delights and woes of battling cancer.

It's as though the blog was invented by and for cancer patients. Type in the words "cancer" and "blog," and you'll receive more than 32,000,000 hits. Try "mom" and "blog," and you'll receive less than 20,000,000 hits. That surprised me. I thought for sure there would be more moms writing about the agony and ecstasy of childbirth and child rearing than people kvetching about cancer. Enter "liberal democrat" (another group of which I'm a member) and "blog", and the number of hits shrinks to just over a million.

I guess it would be easier to make a case for a liberal democrat blog than for yet another cancer blog. But, unlike the freelance stories that I pitch, this blog isn't about "filling a need" in the market place. It's about filling my own need to share what's euphemistically called a "journey" and a "ride."





9 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan, my new sister-in-blogging!

Cancer Banter is a great way to keep your many, many pals up to date.

But I have a medical question: does having lymphoma make you a...lymphomaniac?

See you soon!

Susan C said...

Lymphomaniac?! I LOVE it. Only you, Paula, could come up with that. Don't be surpised if I use that as a subject for a future post!

Susan

Janet Aird said...

Susan - I'm SO glad you're doing this. What a great idea. Hope to see you soon, too.

Susan C said...

Thanks, Janet and Lilli!

Susan C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was going to ask if you keep a journal, but this is infinitely better, especially so you don't have to repeat yourself to all of us who care so much and want to be a part of your life.

You are regal and courageous!

Love you-
Dustin

Emily Tellez said...

Susan,

I just found out about your BLOG!

I wanted to send an e:hug before reading the remaining posts.

You are inspiring, to say the least.

Hugs,
Emily

Karen said...

Susan, count me in with those who are glad you have found a forum whereby you can a)keep us all up to date and b)treat us regularly to your wonderful writing and creativity!

Please make sure you let us know when/how we can help out with any old thing you need - rides, errands, chocolate, bottle of wine, or whatever. :-)

Susan K said...

Susan... (an other) Susan here. I heard the news from Lilli.. along with a link to your blog.

Hugs and hugs and hugs to you. I'll add your site to the feeds I read. Thanks for putting this out for all.