Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More Vita Interruptus

One year after a cord blood stem cell transplant, my friend Ann just discovered that she has relapsed with ALL (acute lymphoblasic leukemia). She and her husband Chris were scheduled to close escrow on a new house yesterday. Instead they're at MD Anderson (MD INNderson?) where they're waiting to find out the treatment plan.

Two years after a donor stem cell transplant, my friend Nancy developed pneumonia and is waiting to find out today if she'll be hospitalized at Hotel Hope.

I keep telling myself that these are just examples of life interrupted, not life ended. Just the same, I obsessively check the blogs of Ann, Nancy and Brad for updates. I hope you'll join me with your good thoughts and prayers.

At the same time, I'm dealing with the continued deterioration of my dear friend Bob in SF. His condition is not improving with treatment. He just turned 81, and I wonder if, at this stage, we are talking about a permanent interruption of life.

3 comments:

One Mother with Cancer said...

I too can relate, I wonder if there will ever be a day that I won't think about it.

Ann said...

We still have to meet for pho, so pick a date a year or so from now. :) Lot's of love, Ann

Susan C said...

I like how you think, Ann. July 5, 2009