Monday, July 28, 2008

It was the 'roids

Since we didn't know if my lung infection was viral or "other," my doctor put me on both an antibiotic and a steroid. I felt increasingly better each day, but I didn't know which drug to thank for the improvement.

Now we know. I continued the antibiotic, but, per my doctor's orders, phased out the Prednisone on Thursday. I crashed on Friday.

I've had difficulty breathing since Friday afternoon. I can take no more than 50 steps before collapsing. I "black out" after taking about ten steps, so I apparently am having trouble getting oxygen to the brain. I try to stay calm while I talk because I start hyperventilating if I get too excited. My temperature has risen to 101 for the last two nights.

If I had known this was going to happen, I would not have made the trip to SF. I'm so grateful that my friend Kiki was with me. She waited on me and made my life easier by dropping me off and picking me up (at the VA, hotel, restaurants, etc.) so that I never had to walk far. She's a very nurturing friend.

I have a couple of theories about what's going on with my lungs, the whacky eosinophils and my GI symptoms. It seems clear to me that it's all related, but I'll discuss this with Dr. Forman this afternoon.

I have appointments for a chest x-ray, blood draw and consultation with Dr. Forman this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I'm anxious to hear what Dr. Forman has to say. Please know that I'm with you in spirit and you're constantly in my thoughts.

Big hug,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Do please let us know asap.

Unknown said...

I am glad you are seeing Dr.Foreman right away. I am sure he will figure out your problem and the right course of treatment. In the meantime, take it easy, put your feet up, take lots of naps and eat all your favorite comfort foods.