Monday, July 21, 2008

Prednisone, pounds, parasites, passings & pie

I had another chest x-ray and visit with Dr. Forman this morning. My chest is clearing up and I'm feeling significantly better today. Not 100% yet, but much better. I think I have the Prednisone steroid to thank for my new-found energy.

I was already on a downward weight trajectory before the Prednisone, but now I'm losing at an even faster rate - four coveted pounds in one week. I wanted those pounds. I needed those pounds, but now I'll have to earn them back. (I'd like to gain a total of 14.)

I was eager to find out if I'm the "hostess with the mostest." That is, am I the host to a parasite? Alas, the results haven't yet come back from the lab. I told Dr. Forman, "I never thought I'd say this, but I hope I have worms." He hopes so too, since that will be an easy explanation for
a multitude of unexplained symptoms.

I received a call yesterday from James, my cat-napping partner in crime in SF. He saw Bob on Tuesday and Friday and fears that he only has days to live. He has stopped eating and refuses a feeding tube.

My friend Kiki and I plan to drive up together to SF this weekend for a final goodbye. I'm not good at goodbyes (are any of us?), so I'm struggling with this. I found something helpful while reading the comments on Roy Siever's My Cancer blog this morning. The commenter recommended saying "thank you" instead of "goodbye."

With that in mind, I'll amend my previous sentence to read "a final thank you."

(Now, in an effort to pack on pounds, I'm heading down to Pie 'n' Burger in Pasadena for a chocolate milkshake and a burger. I may even spring for a slice of pie.)

9 comments:

Doreen said...

So glad you are feeling better! Charley also gets milk shakes at In 'N Out. Pie 'N Burger's fresh peach pie is also a favorite of ours (just saw your recipe, so will have to try it!). Thoughts of love and peace for Bob. ...Doreen

Unknown said...

Hi Susan. The whole YWCA clan is thinking about you, praying for you and ready to feed you whatever it takes to get those pounds back on. I think it will have to be more than BLTs; peach pie with an added ala mode sounds good. Do you feel like doing lunch at some handy Altadena spot? xoxox Edith

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

I love the "thank you" idea. Would love to hear your review of Pie n Burger - I haven't been for ages.

Anonymous said...

Susan- If I could, I would give you some of my poundage:). Glad you are feeling better. The apple dumplings at corner bakery are great and can probably help with your efforts! Thinking of you.
Carmen

Anonymous said...

I would be HAPPY to offload some of the steroid weight I cannot shake...REALLY.

But I think just THINKING about your going to Pie & Burger put another couple of pounds on me!

Hope it was delicious as I remember.

Always---"thank you" or "until next time" is my usual last line with folks---goodbye is too tough most of the time. Our thoughts are with you and Bob too.

Nancy said...

Glad you are feeling better. Never thought I'd wish someone had worms... but, I hope that's it. You know all the good eating places... I'll have to try "Pie and Burger" sometime. It sounds fantastic. Like the rest, I could spare about 10 pounds... wish I could give them to you!!! Thinking of you and Bob. Be careful driving... love, n

SAMO Calling said...

Hi Susan, just checking in.
I keep meaning to ask what ever happened with the slack skin diagnosis?

Susan C said...

Thank you for all of the generous, self-sacrificing offers of poundage. If doctors can transplant stem cells, then why can't they shift fat?

My calorie-rich diet hasn't added any weight, but at least I've stopped losing. I was in danger of being added to the list of vanishing species.

I'm always just a bit disappointed in the hamburgers at Pie 'n' Burger. $6.55 for a scrawny patty of beef the size of In 'n' Out? Come on. The chocolate shake, however, did not disappoint.

I'm up for lunch dates in Altadena, Pasadena or Any-dena.

As for the cutis laxa, I was encouraged that it wasn't spreading while I was on the minocycline. In an effort to figure out this EOS thing, I have been off for six weeks. Yikes! It's SCARY how much it has spread and intensified. I'll ask Dr. Forman about going back on when I see him on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Susan! So sorry about Bob, too.

Anytime you want to have a calorie-laden lunch, let me know! (just don't let my physical trainer brother find out about it:))

Lisa C.