Friday, August 10, 2007

Stem Cell Mission Approved

I just got a call from Emily, my stem cell transplant nurse coordinator. I've been approved to start the trial of AMD 3100 to mobilize my stem cells. Hurrah!

I'll go in on Monday for an appointment with Dr. Forman, chest X-ray, EKG, electrocardiogram, respiratory function tests and labs. On Sunday, August 19, I'll report to CoH for my injection of AMD and "observation" from 9 pm until 10 pm. Harvesting will start the following morning at the ungodly hour of 7 am. The late-night runs to CoH and early morning harvesting routine will continue until we've collected an additional 4.16 million stem cells. (The .84 we collected this week are on ice.)

Most patients are asked to stay at Hope Village during this protocol, but since I live so close I'm going to try the twice-a-day commute. After a few days, I may be begging for that bed in the village.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds grueling, but so glad you've been approved. When all this is behind you, I hope you'll treat yourself to a really wonderful vacation...

Anonymous said...

Are you dismissing "Hope Village" out of hand? It sounds quaint. Is there a pub? A town square where people gather to gossip and sell their wares? If your home basement gets too drab and dreary, perhaps a stay in the "Village" is just what the doctor ordered?