Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To Walk or Not to Walk

I do believe that my lungs are improving. The progress is slow, but it's there.

I am still so far away from being a fully functioning human being. I still have to elaborately plot out trips to the bathroom to avoid a blackout spell. I'm still out of breath after a flight of stairs. Even pleasurable activities, like going for a mani-pedi with a friend, tire me out.

With that being said, I'm looking at my September calendar and trying to figure out which engagements to keep and which to strike. The most important date is September 14, the night of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk. That's a little more than two weeks away. Will I be up to an action-packed evening that culminates in a 2.8 mile walk? Ordinarily, that would be nothing, but I haven't walked for more than 200 paces without a break for the last month.

I should be in high recruitment mode, trying to build up my team of walkers, but now I don't know what to do. I don't know whether to forge ahead under the assumption that I will have bounced back completely by then, or just say, "I raised $550 and that will have to be good enough." Maybe I should see how I feel in one week. Maybe I should recruit walkers with the caveat that I may not be there.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Susan, You already know what I'm going to say. It's awesome that you raised $550 for the walk. But, I think you need to bow out of it. You can come back next year with a vengeance! : )

You need to take it easy so you can heal. Take care of yourself and clear that calendar. Everybody will understand and they'll want you to be 100% again.
Hopefully, anybody reading your blog will make you bow out of your commitments. If not, you are just going to have to let them know.

Please, please take it easy. Rest up my dear and always err on the side of caution!
love, nancy

Unknown said...

FEELING better is not the same as BEING better.

You've been sick for quite a while now and you need to allow yourself several weeks to recover, especially to lose the hacking cough and gain some weight.

Skip the walk! You can do it next year.

Ann said...

Listen to your body and give yourself time to heal. You can always walk next year. Clear your calendar and make yourself your number one priority. You can always do things spur of the moment when you feel well.
I second Nancy when she says to take it easy. There will be plenty of trouble for you to get into when you're feeling better. :)
Lots of love,
Ann

Susan C said...

Nancy, Paula and Ann: Thanks so much for giving me "permission" to skip this. I was feeling that I'd be a negative quitter if I did, but you are absolutely right.

Gee, I'm looking forward to getting into trouble, Ann!