Friday, July 13, 2007

What Grows Around, Comes Around

I made arrangements for five "freecylcers" to come to our house to harvest apricots at 7:30 this morning. Dave showed up with a gift of a half dozen Japanese cucumbers that he grew in his Alhambra community garden.

It was fun to listen to the freecyclers chattering away like fruit-hungry squirrels while they harvested. It turns out that two of them knew each other from previous "transactions."

My cleaning lady asked me yesterday if I still had a hutch that their newly adopted bunny could use, but both our rabbit and his home are long gone. Instead, I posted a request on the San Gabriel Valley freecycle list and immediately heard back from a Pasadena resident eager to get rid of hers. That offer came from none other than Amy, who arrived this morning with her toddler daughter to pick fruit.

I'm off and running now for two appointments at City of Hope - a CT scan and bone marrow biopsy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just shows ta go ya, one man's trash is another man's treasure! If our social structure was less proffit oriented, we would have such a better society!