Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Light the Night

A few weeks ago, I was in a quandary about what to do about the upcoming Light the Night event on September 14. I wanted to honor my commitment as Captain of the Cancer Banter team, but didn't think that I would be up to doing a 2.8 mile walk.

I'm getting stronger every day and can now stroll a couple of blocks before I start gasping for air. That's a vast improvement over my condition two weeks ago, when I needed to be pushed in a wheel chair, but it's a long way from being able to walk nearly three miles.

But my stellar team of eight walkers is carrying on without me. Together we've raised more than $1,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Thank you to all of my Cancer Banter friends for your generous donations.

It's not too late if you'd like to sign up to walk, and it's not too late to make a donation to an organization that is a powerful force in supporting blood cancer patients and their families through education, connections and research. (Just click on the "Light the Night" icons on the left column.)

3 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Glad you're feeling better! I improvised on your beans and greens with some stuff I had in the house and it came out OK, though it didn't look as good as yours. I used spinach, and it was a little watery. Next time I send my daughter to the store I'm going to get the right ingredients. Keep on truckin'

Susan C said...

I love spinach and cook with it often, but nothing beats the swiss chard with beans.

Mrs. Duck said...

I'm glad you're continuing to improve!! I'd join the walk, but this weekend we're going to be getting Nat ready to go to college (she starts Tues.) So I'll leave the walking to your loyal team, grateful that they're enabling you to rest up and get better every day.