Wednesday, September 26, 2007

PET Scan(dal)


I was scheduled for a 7:00 follow-up PET Scan at City of Hope this morning, but I learned yesterday afternoon that the equipment is on the fritz. During each status report phone call, I would imagine an underemployed Maytag repairman tinkering with the sophisticated machinery.

At 8 pm, Juan called to report, "It's still down. Someone will call you tomorrow to reschedule once the equipment is operating."

The PET scan (along with the CT and MRI) is one of the most valuable diagnostic tools for a cancer center. Without it, dozens of anxious patients (including me) are left in the dark.

My appointment with Dr. Forman, currently scheduled for Thursday afternoon, will have to be put off until after the PET scan is complete. I was looking forward to this meeting to set my mind at ease about the mild symptoms (weight loss, fatigue, gastrointestinal grumblings, burning sensation in right eye) I've been experiencing for the last few weeks.

The waiting doesn't get much easier.

10 comments:

Margaret said...

How frustrated you must feel. I hope the equipment gets fixed soon and you can get the reassurances you seek.

Susan C said...

Scan(dalous) Update: As of 2 pm on Thursday, the machine is still down, but the staff optimistically scheduled me for a 12:30 appointment on Friday. My follow-up appt. with Dr. Forman has been moved to Monday.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know we're on different time zones and everything, but when did we skip Wednesday?

love, Tara in VA

Anonymous said...

Or maybe this special cancer gives superpower strength to see one day into the future as a payoff for all the other hassles?

Tara in VA

Anonymous said...

do they have a good vet for the pet? lol keep positive...keep eating avacodos I send big hugs while you wait...love, Suze

Susan C said...

Oh my! My calendar dyslexia has been kicking into high gear lately! Add that to my list of "mild symptoms."

Vet for the PET scan: Funny, Suze!

Unknown said...

It's like the old saying: Hurry up and wait!

Sorry you're left in the lurch. I wonder if a small, tasteful sign above the scanning machine would prevent future problems?

I'm thinking of the classic China-shop warning: YOU BREAK IT, YOU BUY IT.

Troy Corley said...

Is there a PET Whisperer out there? Or a PET Psychic to let you know why it's down?

Hang in there Susan! We might see you in WeHo on Sun! :)

Troy

Emily said...

Thinking of you lots. Love you!

Mrs. Duck said...

Sorry you have to go through this, as if you don't have enough to deal with already.

I like Paula's suggestion!!