Tuesday, June 19, 2007

More "Things To Do Before You Die"

A few months ago, I blogged about the current publishing trend of listing things one should see, do, eat or visit before kicking the bucket. Since then, I've had a lot of time to mull over the things I want to do and foods I want to eat before the final chapter of my life.

All of this contemplation has made me realize that I've been tall on talk and short on action. Just yesterday a friend suggested that a group get together at Papadakis Tavern, the plate-smashing, Greek-dancing restaurant in San Pedro. George and I have been talking about crashing China (the dinnerware, not the country) with our friends for more than 20 years. Isn't it time we just did it and found out for ourselves that we weren't missing out on a thing?

And ever since seeing Terrie Silverman (artist-in-residence at Beyond Baroque) and two of her students read their work at an IWOSC Reads Its Own event two years ago, I've talked about taking Terrie's class. I've blathered about working on a monologue and fantasized about one day doing a one-woman show. But I've never moved beyond the stage of attending one-woman shows as "research."

All of that is about to change. A few weeks ago, I received a forwarded email from Terrie. The producer of "The Big C," a June 16 cancer survivor month event at the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, was looking for performance pieces. After a few emails with the producer and a meeting with Terrie, I decided to turn "Pole Dancing" into a ten-minute monologue.

Since I didn't know from day to day if I'd be at Hotel Hope, I ultimately had to let The Big C go the way of The Big D. Terrie invited me to participate in her Gorgeous Stories event in Pasadena on June 22, but I'll definitely (or as definitely as my life goes these days) be in the Big House on that day and will, once again, have to pass.

At first, I was a little down about these "lost opportunities," but I soon realized that we live in a town (and a world) with new chances around every corner. An email from IWOSC announced that they're hosting another IWOSC Reads Its Own event on July 15 at Dutton's Bookstore. Terrie will host another Gorgeous Stories event in a few weeks. Who knows if I'll be in or out of the hospital on either of those dates, but the piece is ready (or at least a respectable "work in progress"), the red feather boas are waiting, and I'm practicing "pole dancing" in public, much to the horror of my free-spirited teen.

I know I've asked this question before, but here we go again: What's on YOUR list of things to do, see or eat before you die?

10 comments:

Mrs. Duck said...

I want to see the Aurora Borealis, to be north of the Arctic Circle on June 21 (summer solstice, when the sun doesn't set), and to see a total eclipse of the sun (we got clouded out when we went to Hawaii for one when Natalie was 2).

And I want to celebrate your successful autologous stem cell transplant!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...difficult. I'd go to Australia, for one thing. Maybe Antartica, I've read so much about it, but someone told me that's an "older folks" thing??

Also, I made a list of things to do when I was 15 which I just found around a month ago and to my utter surprise had done quite a few of the things on there...(!) So to all who haven't, making lists does work!

Lisa C.

Desiree said...

Two things I'd like to do, but to me are so crazy extravagant they have to go on that list (the rest are all practical, and reasonably achievable)
1) fly first class
2) to Tahiti to one of those thatched huts which rest on stilts over that glorious azure ocean.
I think I will need a couple of Master Cards for THAT experience.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding? The only thing I REALLY want to do before I die is see my book in hard cover, and do a signing. Which book? Any or all, and not vanity published either.
Sheesh, talk about being timid with your dreams!

Susan C said...

I have no doubt that we'll see more than one of Desiree's books in print before any of us pass on.

Mrs. Duck said...

Oh, in addition to seeing the Aurora, etc., I'd like to find out the answers to the following questions before I die:

1. Why do philosophers think it's so hard to answer the question "If a tree falls in the woods, but no one hears it, does it made a sound?", when we all know the answer to "If I eat a big piece of chocolate cake and some ice cream, but don't weigh myself, will I gain weight?"

2. Would my son have enjoyed hanging my daughter's Barbies from the bed rail on her "big" bed if she hadn't screamed every time he did it?

3. Why does a cup of water look so much bigger when it's all over the floor?

4. Why, when the kids were little, did I bother to clean up the house before going to bed (especially on Friday and Saturday nights, since the kids would always be up first on the weekends)? Did I think I'd sleep better knowing that the house was neat for a few hours while the world slept?

5. Why do 2 children generate 10 times the mess of 1 child? And why, when they work together to clean up, does it take them twice as long?

6. The law of conservation of energy says that energy can only change form, it can never be destroyed. Does that mean that, if the obesity epidemic is cured in West Virginia, then the rest of the nation is going to get even fatter? Or, because everything is relative, will only out-of-state relatives of West Virginians (like Susan) get fatter?

7. Why do we have hair under our arms? And why do our noses continue to grow throughout our lives?

The first one to get all of the answers right will receive an honorary degree from the University of Phoenix.


Mrs. Duck

Anonymous said...

for me,to do: it is to ride horses again, dance again, walk along the shore again. to eat: dim sum with Susan, tea at the Ritz with my Mom, tea at the Huntington Gardens with my kids to see: April in Paris, Italy...all of it! and especially hold my children's children and sing to them and tell them the stories my Momma and Daddy told me. I Love You! Love Suze

Susan C said...

Very thought-provoking questions, Mrs. D.

As for question 7, I no longer have under-arm hair, but I'm managing to hold on to my eyebrows. I forgot that the nose continues to grow. Mine looks bigger when I'm sporting my bald head.

Suzie, having dim sum with you (and your mom?) is on my list too! Tea and a tour of the Huntington sound good too.

Anonymous said...

Before my days are done, I want to meet and marry a true soulmate.

Then together we would go overseas often, exploring new countries, re-savoring familiar ones and working on humanitarian relief projects. On these travels I want to paint en plein air whenever a not-to-be-forgotten scenario begs to be immortalized. And I want to attend operas at La Scala and La Fenice.

Susan C said...

Here's to all of us living our lives to the fullest and fulfilling all of our hopes, dreams and schemes.

Anonymous said...

P.S. One more thing--a vestige of my New England upbringing: I want to row crew.