Friday, April 18, 2008

Fit for Life

I discovered another "side benefit" of cancer today.

The Pasadena Wellness Community, whose mission is "to help people affected by cancer enhance their health and well-being," offers an amazing slate of fitness classes, including Tai Chi, Qi Gong, yoga, Pilates and strength training. These are all FREE for cancer patients and survivors.

Today I attended a class in Qi Gong (pronounced "chee kung"), an ancient Chinese discipline of breathing and movement. I was afraid that once my hair grew back, I could kiss those free classes goodbye, but that's not the case. One woman in my class completed treatment for breast cancer 16 years ago, and another was diagnosed a dozen years ago.

The Wellness Community is helping cancer survivors become thrivers for the rest of their lives. And, if they have their way, that will be a very, very long time.

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY: I pole danced at Helford Hospital.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan - what a journey you've made in the lat year! We are so glad we have shared it with you and hope to continue through this CB blog - all the best to you and yours and we can't wait till we get together on the next foodie/wine extravaganza - love Mark and Dee

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.