Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tranny Mess or Fierce?

At last, I'm able to toss around a few pop-culture catch phrases from cable television. "Tranny mess" (i.e. over-the-top bad) and "fierce" (i.e. good) were the fave catch phrases of Christian Siriano, the young designer who was the Season 4 Project Runway winner.

And how do I know this? When George and I were in Seattle in March, I was plagued with the common cold. My low grade fever (100.1 F) wasn't high enough to sound the doctor alarms (100.5 F), but high enough to turn me into a first-class bed potato. While I nursed my cold, I devoured an entire season of Project Runway. The creativity and cattiness of the contestants and the sassy attitude of the ultra-thin models strutting their designer stuff made me forget my runny nose, stuffy head and achy bones for a few hours. I was hooked.

I was lucky enough to tune in during the season finale. But New York's Fashion Week wasn't the only thing that caught my eye. I was wowed by the ad for Market Optical, an eyewear boutique in Seattle.

The next day, I was feeling much perkier, so George and I wandered around Pike's Place Market. When we happened to pass Market Optical, I squealed, "OMG, I HAVE to go in there. They advertised on Project Runway." The boutique probably has no more than 30 sets of frames, and each one is fabulous, or "fierce" as Christian would say.

I tried on a few frames and then, without warning, pulled off my wig so that I could see how my specs would look on a hairless face. The opticians didn't see that one coming. But the "now you see it, now you don't" demonstration helped us narrow down the selection to the perfect pair.

So what do you think? Am I a tranny mess, a hot mess. . . or fierce?


Here I am in the Mac Photo Booth with my new glasses and no wig.
My new hair, by the way, is growing fast.


Here I am with the new glasses and wig.
The glasses are lined in a "thistle" color that looks like it jumped right out of a 68-count box of Crayola crayons.
Can you tell that I LOVE this Photo Booth feature on the Mac?

2 comments:

Ann said...

Fierce, fierce, fierce with a snap!
I was going into "Susan" withdrawls while you were away. :) I hope you're feeling better and had an excellent trip.

Unknown said...

You are utterly and enormously fierce!