Tuesday, February 27, 2007

There is Always Hope

I received recommendations for oncologists from my GP and my two ocular surgeons. My surgeon's nurse, however, gave the best recommendation. "Dr. Forman at City of Hope. He's the head of the hemetology department," she whispered when the doctor was out of earshot.

Even before Lisa's covert recommendation, City of Hope had popped instantly into my mind. It could be because of those "Canswer" billboards that line the 210 freeway. (Kudos to the marketing wizard who came up with that!) It could be because "City of Hope" includes that magical word, hope. And it could be because so many friends I know, respect and care about have connections with the City of Hope as employees or patients.

The first call I made was to my friend Anne, a former "big cheese" at City of Hope. She was instantly encouraging about the level of care I would receive at CofH, the caliber of the doctors and staff and the many advances cancer research has made in the last decade. And who did she recommend? Dr. Forman. She got on the phone and made a referral for me and sped up the intake process. Within two hours, I received a call from the scheduler and the intake nurse.

And every time I visit the hospital, I'm reminded by a large sign near the entrance, "There is always hope."

No comments: