Friday, March 19, 2010

A Little of This, A Little of That

I really love the stretches of time when Cancer Banter lies dormant and Open Mouth, Insert Fork sizzles with food activity.

The food overindulgence is paying off. I found out yesterday at the City of Hope that I've packed on seven pounds in a month. (And, if you've been following my food blog, you'll see why.) Now I just need to gain another dozen pounds to go from "scrawny" to "svelte."

[photo forthcoming]

I've also been indulging in some good wines, but still haven't managed to visit the EOS Estate Winery in Paso Robles.

The EOS cap brought me good cheer, and it must also be bringing me good luck. Ever since Nancy brought it over, my EOS have been behaving. Yesterday I found out that they decreased (sans steroids) slightly since my last blood draw a month ago. I believe my EOS woes (and the accompanying stress) are behind me.

I'm always amazed at the creativity and thoughtfulness that goes in to helping others who are going through or recovering from cancer or a serious illness. Instead of a perfunctory, "Let me know what I can do," some of you may have offered to help with nitty gritty tasks, like cleaning out the litter box or scrubbing the toilets. If there's a disconnect between your intentions and your scrub brush, you may want to visit Cleaning for a Reason, an organization that provides free cleaning services for cancer patients. (Thanks to Petrea for forwarding this website.)

A concerned friend of blogger Assertive Cancer Patient lives in a different state, so she couldn't bring over a home-cooked meal. She did the next best thing and made arrangements for a pizza delivery. This works for close-distant friends too, because sometimes it's easier to make a call than make a meal. Just remember to contact the patient to find out when they'd like the delivery made and what toppings the family likes. (And, of course, delivery doesn't have to be confined to pizza.)

I love the creativity of Susan Kitchens, who made an audio tape of her walk, complete with the sounds of zooming cars and cheeping birds, and brought it to a friend who is landlocked in the hospital after an organ transplant. If only there was a way to record the amazing spring fragrances.

I feel uplifted just thinking about the love and thoughtfulness that goes into these acts. They're a great reminder that it's better to do something than to do nothing and feel guilty about it.

Have you been on the giving or receiving end of a thoughtful act? I'd love to hear about it.

10 comments:

Ann said...

I'm always amazed at the million little acts of kindness that people shower upon you when you're undergoing treatment. Chris and I wouldn't have been able to get through the last 3 years without all of the kindness and generosity shown to us. You always managed to brighten my days with the things you would do. I couldn't have lived without that fabulous picc line shower cover you sent me! I'm so happy to hear that the EOS count is coming down and I hope you're starting to feel better. Thanks for keeping me informed and entertained with your excellent adventures and fabulous writing.

Unknown said...

Glad you are posting again and feeling better and gaining weight. This post inspires me to do something, what an amazing way you have with putting words and emotions on paper.

Petrea Burchard said...

Susan K. was telling me about her audio recording yesterday. What a great idea. Seems like a little thing, but it means a lot.

I've been without a car sometimes lately. I'm not ill, but you know how that limits a person around here. Today Bellis called from the farmer's market and offered to pick up my favorite granola. Wasn't that thoughtful? I've been missing it for weeks.

It was lovely to see you today, out and about and looking good.

Unknown said...

Jenny How wonderful the kindness of other what would we do without them.
Love the information that you share and how other can get the help they need thank you so much for that. Love to keep coming back to what an inspiration.

Ronni Gordon said...

Congratulations on gaining weight! I gained almost all mine back, and with help from the prednisone, got a pot belly too. Now I feel like I need to watch myself. I liked the ideas about giving. I have to say that people seemed to be all over me in the beginning, bringing food, little presents and good will, but now that it's been over a year, most have disappeared. It's understandable but still a little hard on me. Maybe I should find some energy and turn out more and give to others. hmmmmm

Thais said...

hi, i've just read that you have cutis laxa, i have this skin disorder too..now i don't feel so alone anymore..thanks

jiaying said...

nike jordan
nike jordan shoes
air jordan
air jordan shoes
jordan shoes

Anonymous said...

結婚、離婚、結婚又離婚...
陳經理喜孜孜的帶著他的新婚妻子參加公司聚餐
陳經理一直是身邊親友茶餘飯後的話題
這是他的第四任妻子
背叛似乎是總慣性
也似乎之於陳經理而言,離婚也能成為一種慣性
他總是因為外遇而離婚
一次又一次
當女人渴望名分,他就要求另外一個女人成全
他流連花叢,女人不因他的離婚紀錄而卻步
似乎卻總是認為自己能夠成為那個「特別的人」
結婚、離婚對他而言不具意義,只是一種手段
反正他總是能找到另一個傻女人
人家都說男人到大陸都會外遇包二奶
老婆淚眼說擔心他外遇
他了解老婆的擔心,只好用錢去彌補分離的缺憾
漸漸的,老婆的電話愈來愈少…
她說,她是怕自己太依賴
漸漸的,他知道其實是她有了外遇
於是,面對自己外遇的行為,他忽然覺得好過了些…

Anonymous said...

茜茜知道他有了外遇
他變得春風滿面,嘴裡總是哼著歌曲
他開始變得有耐心聽她說話、會買禮物給她、甚至帶她出遊
茜茜知道這是因為他對外遇有愧疚
她沒有揭穿丈夫的外遇,甚至享受這樣的生活
茜茜偷偷的跟姐妹滔說:感謝老公的外遇帶來更美好的夫妻生活!

Anonymous said...

明知道他有婚姻,筱蝶還是陷進去了
他告訴筱蝶,不是不願意離婚
只是孩子還小,他不忍心孩子這麼小就面臨父母離婚的難題
他告訴筱蝶,他有多麼愛她
他多想馬上離婚光明正大和她在一起
他告訴筱蝶,她值得更好的人,但是他捨不得放手
只要給他兩年時間,他就會馬上離婚
多麼動聽的話,為了他的承諾,筱蝶甘心傻等
一心等對方離婚、一心想要成為他的太太
然而當兩年的時間過去了
男人還是沒有離婚
他淡淡的對筱蝶說:我配不上妳,所以我要放妳自由!