Monday, February 9, 2009

Eating Good and Eating Well

Somewhere along the line, foods that are good for you got a bad rap. "Eat this. It's good for you," is about as enticing to a child as saying, "Watch this documentary. You might learn something." Watching and eating something just because it's good for you are not the point.

But what if we can have food that tastes good and is good for us?

It's not only possible, it's easy.

When I started chemo almost two years ago, I concentrated on eating "nutrient dense" foods. I almost lost the good habits I established when I was eating to gain weight last summer and fall. Now I'm back to eating good and eating well. (When I'm not pigging out on BLATs, that is.)

Read more about the 11 Foods I AM Eating at Open Mouth, Insert Fork.

1 comment:

Maria said...

you wrote me once but i'm a terrible responder. sorry this is late.

i was in COH aug & sept 2007. i did well the first time (but it didn't work) and was definitely more sick the 2nd time (worked at the time but not completely).

yes i hate losing summers to being sick. isn't it crazy sometimes that we get so used to feeling like crap that we know no other way anymore? and when we do feel good it just feels amazing...

yeah i got down to about 102 lbs at one point last year. but you know what i hated? the people who told me i looked good like that! it was ridiculous........ i have happily gained weight since.

i'm on british mopp now which includes 50mg of prednisone for 14 days on a 28 day cycle. i'll be on this treatment for a total of 8 months and i'm concerned about the steriod side effects. first i was getting almost paranoid by the end of my dose cycle and now i think sometimes i go through withdrawal after i stop taking it. this might be TMI so i don't know why i just went into it, lol. either way i'd rather be super hyper than super tired (ALL 2008).

i am trying to eat better too. more fruits, veggies, and water. less soda, microwaveable dinners, and rice.

i think i may have found the perfect purse........ i was lucky to coerce my boyfriend to buy it for me. however, i am no longer taken out to nice dinners anymore as a result. the price you pay for a nice bag.........

thank you for writing, i like meeting people who understand what we've been through, what we continue to go through. and how we are still so normal despite all the madness.... :)